Friday, February 10, 2023

Supplemental Response #1 (Devin Glenn)

Last Sunday, I attended the Grammys as a seat filler. Out of the 30,000 people who applied for this incredible opportunity, only 300 were chosen and as fate would have it, I was one of them! Being in close proximity with that many iconic artists was pretty mind blowing. At one point, I quite literally brushed shoulders with Adele as well as carefully step over Lizzo’s gorgeous orange gown, was on the front row when Beyoncé made history as the most decorated Grammy award winner, and sat one table away from both Sza and Olivia Rodrigo. With that being said, I’ve been a huge swiftie since I was 13, so the night (for me) was all about Taylor. I got to meet her, talk with her, give her a letter I’d written for her, and take a selfie with her! It was honestly a dream come true. This experience also gave me some interesting insights into star studies and the power of the close-up.

For the majority of the program, I was two tables away from Taylor and could clearly see how she reacted to the performances and interacted with the other artists. She was came across as genuine and real in person, and later (as I rewatched the Grammys on Paramount+) those feelings were amplified as Taylor’s every look and action were magnified on screen. In addition, it was fascinating to see how unintrusive and intimate the shots of the celebrities reacting to the happenings on stage appeared to be during the broadcast while, in person, the placement of the massive cameras right on the celebrities in the audience seemed very invasive. I found it was interesting to see how many stars had their publicists with them and how they would approach the stars and make game plans with them during each commercial break. Overall, though, I was pleasantly surprised by how much realness existed within a space designed solely for filming/broadcasting.

Here are some photos of me at the Grammys. With each photo, it becomes progressively harder to identify where I am. Can you find me? 👀

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jmnvGa51PKTCgjx39

No comments:

Post a Comment