Friday, February 24, 2023

jackie maldonado replies to onyinye's blogpost number 2

Hold on, I want to reply to Onyinye’s “Angela Bassett Did The Thing” expose but I am too emotionally charged by the hail storm from earlier today to figure out why my comments are not working so, alas, here I am again.

I did not see this full clip until now. I had no idea what this was from. I think early last week I saw “comments by celebs” make an Instagram post about it and thought, ha, funny, Angela Bassett does all the things so they have a point. Maybe some point after I saw the clip of Ariana Debose singing the same line for two or three seconds. Maybe dots connected, most likely they connected the wrong way, because tonight was the first night I saw this whole (or, well, larger) clip of her performance. Dots, from things heard and read throughout the week and possibly beyond for I can never know if I am actually telling time correctly, were finally collected because of this hyperlink to a Twitter clip of a live and televised performance.

Now, I’ve never seen the BAFTA’s. I probably heard about them, knew they were something of some importance and for some kinds of creatives but unfortunately put that information away to instead absorb Love Trip: Paris, and most of all I recognize this as a live televised award show, but I haven’t experienced it live nor on television.

How many of us only know of this performance from a thing seen on another thing or referenced through a third thing? The event itself is televised and made to be delivered to audiences through television, but who can say they actually experienced this in a “television” context? Does this change the content or the event itself? Does this mean the SAG awards are onto something going to Netflix? I don’t have any answers here, obviously, but just knowing Angela Bassett did the thing is not enough. The thing was meant for television, is watching her do it on my low-power mode iPhone justifiable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment