Thursday, March 23, 2023

Core Response #4 by Onyinyechukwu Chidi-Ogbolu

For my core response this week, I chose to focus on Angela McRobbie's piece titled "Post-Feminism and Popular Culture". To summarize McRobbie's piece in simple terms, she is speaking about the "not like other girls" era, one I believe we are fast returning to, despite the shift away from it in recent years. McRobbie writes: “But still, it seems now, over a decade later, that this space of “distance from feminism” and those utterances of forceful non-identity with feminism have consolidated into something closer to repudiation rather than ambivalence, and it is this vehemently denunciatory stance which is manifest across the field of popular gender debate. This is the cultural space of post-feminism.” (257) The “now” the quote references was 2004, however, that statement is still relevant now, 19 years later. 

I too went through a “not like other girls” era where I vehemently rejected femininity, feminism and all that was associated with it. However as I grew older and conscious of society, I realized how far from postfeminism society is, and became what one may call a raging feminist. 

As an avid user of social media, and despite the amount of effort I put into curating my algorithm. A recent TikTok trend that involved imagining conversations with ancestors featured many women chiding the women of old for fighting for their rights to be educated and work, as they no longer need to do that. As I stumbled upon a few of these, I wondered when we as a society began to move away from the fight for, not equality but, equity and into the exact space those before us tried to leave. Is this simply history repeating itself? Or did post-feminism never retreat and is simply rearing its head to remind us of that?


No comments:

Post a Comment