Monday, March 6, 2023

Random Blogpost #4 - Onyinyechukwu Chidi-Ogbolu

 I haven't been able to stop thinking about the Atlanta episode we watched in class. I did some sleuthing on the episode and discovered it was the lowest rated episode in the series and it brought me back to the Warner reading, while I am not a frequent watcher of Atlanta, I can imagine that this one-off episode was such a direct attack on whiteness (and even blackness, but that is not the current focus) that many of its white viewers could not stomach it. The only reason Atlanta could cross such a line was due to its already established success. The show did not have to straddle the line of staying true to itself while attending to white audiences (the bifurcation Warner mentioned) because it has reached a level of security where it doesn't have to.

That being said, I also wanted to point out how deeply amusing it is that the one white character that had immediate understanding of the reasoning of black people in the show, immediately avoids having to deal with that understanding by ending his own life. 

That is all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment