Friday, April 28, 2023

Minor Post #3 - Josh Martin

I've been thinking a little bit lately about the intersection between personalized algorithms and the broader excesses of the streaming age. The review embargo broke today for Citadel, a new Amazon Prime show with Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Richard Madden; I only knew of its existence thanks to a handful of ads when I saw John Wick at the AMC Century City theater. Other than that, I had encountered no ads, no promos -- it was completely out of the loop of my streaming algorithm. Suddenly, my Twitter timeline was flooded with reviews -- almost all negative. Amazon apparently spent $300 million on that show. At what point does that become unsustainable? Are we already at a breaking point? Will the Writer's Guild Strike change this even further?

No comments:

Post a Comment