Thursday, March 9, 2023

Camila Comment 2/5

I continue to be unable to comment on other people's posts so this is me piggybacking on Celeste's post about preserving the real in "reality" tv. Celeste spoke about her love of "American Idol," which I also grew up watching, and had never really categorized or considered it to be a reality tv show until this evening-

I also wanted to comment on Eileen's post about "governing the self" (McCarthy, 17). Can't this rhetoric apply to all reality tv shows? Don't dating shows fall under these self-improvement parameters since they are all based on pushing individuals to find their perfect match or testing whether your partner and you are meant to be (I apologize for the massive generalizations as I do not gravitate towards reality tv). This feels like an entirely different kind of societal pressure or anxiety being spotlight on television for viewers to experience and perhaps feel better about themselves?-







No comments:

Post a Comment