Thursday, March 9, 2023

Minor Post #2 by Yiyan Pan

 Strings and Bui’s article inspires me to come up with an idea of what I’m going to do for the final project. In their article, they basically want to argue that the gender play on RuPaul’s Drag Race shows the adherence to racial “authenticity,” although gender is the concept that allows subversion. This makes me think about how a reality show reflects or reinforces or subverts some norms or stereotypes. And I’m thinking about doing a video essay about one or two reality shows about dating and marriage in China. One example I really want to discuss is Love Actually. The TV show showcases ten young urban men and women around 30 years old living in Shanghai and asks them to live in a big apartment for 21 days. I was offended by the start of this show since its purpose is to bring together individuals who are above the average age of single people and offer them dating options. In China, people are always surrounded by marriage anxiety, thinking that if they don't get married at the age of 30, they are leftover men and women. However, although this TV show has changed the terminology and calls them semi-adults, I still think they are still implicitly reinforcing this marriage anxiety.


No comments:

Post a Comment