Thursday, April 27, 2023

FT Core Post 5

 I liked the phrasing of "tethering", as that feels fundamentally the right descriptor for the change and lack of coherence to a physical space, even as it still exists in some aspects. This reading and the Open TV reading, offer to me two slightly different readings on the change of television. I am coming out of this course convinced that the TV Studies cleanly expands into video social media and apps, and less attached to the structural definitions of television. Television's space as a domestic signifier seems to me to be more relevant to the specificities of the medium than the fiction/narrative based differences one could point out when comparing it to film. Movies to me don't have the same flexibility in its categorization, and the rupture between television and film to me is more a symptom of the viral rupture television has had in general, oozing into other modes of consumption and devices. Near the end of television outside the box, Lotz states that the presumption that the aesthetic experience of large and small screens are contradictory isn't true, and I see his point, in the importance placed on resolution and in its availability.

No comments:

Post a Comment