Thursday, April 27, 2023

Minor Post #2 -- Alexandra Lavin

So yes I was on top of my core responses but completely forgot about the existence of minor posts, so I am doing my best to throw in some thoughts. I wanted to speak a little of my experience in this class as a non-CAMS student, because I've found this peak into critical studies to be really illuminating. All of us screenwriters have a CAMS requirement, so I chose this one because I like to talk about television. I definitely was not anticipating what this class ended up being, but I am very glad I ended up choosing it. As a writing student I think it's easy to get so bogged down in the constant introspection, the emotional mining, the sitting in front of your laptop trying desperately to finish your second act, that you forget that your goal is to get this work out into the world, that with any luck your work will stop being about you and be under the care of the general public. A complete screenplay is never really complete until its made, but being a student it's difficult to fully grasp that. This class has been a great reminder that becoming a television writer is becoming a part of a long history that is highly linked to the social, political, and economic state of our society. It's helped me understand the history of the medium (television did not, in fact, only get interesting in the 90's) and put me in touch with the economic decisions that dictate what gets made. Basically, it helped me pull my head out of my ass a little and understand the industry I aspire to be a part of. Yes, I was and still am super intimidated by the long, dense academic texts. I am continually impressed by everybody in the CAMS program and their ability to understand them. But I was delighted to be introduced to the unfamiliar way of dissecting television, and appreciate the interesting discussions every week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment